Serves 6 (2/3 cup serving)
This Recipe is VERY spicy, feel free to adjust the cayenne and chilli powder amounts
5 chicken breasts
2 poblano peppers
2 jalapeño peppers
6 to 8 “mini” sweet peppers
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
3 chipotle peppers in adobo chopped
1 tbsp chili oil
2 tbsp chopped green chilis
2 cans (8 oz each) Rotel Original Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
- Roast the poblano peppers on the stove or in the broiler until there are scorch marks on the peppers. Set aside to cool.
- Place chicken breasts in the oven at 350 and cook until just done (season with a little extra chili oil if you like - cover them . . . you don't really want them to brown, you just want them to cook through)
- In a skillet, place the chili oil with the chopped onion, green peppers and chili and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Slice and de-seed/de-vein the jalapeños. Discard the seeds and veins. Add to the skillet
- Slice the mini-peppers and add to the skillet along with the chipotle peppers. Slice the poblano peppers and add to the skillet as well. Simmer for 1 minute on low.
- Add the rotel tomato sauce to the skillet and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and chop into small pieces. Add it to the slow cooker along with the crushed red pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cilantro, coriander and salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of hot water and stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Allow to cook for several hours on high or overnight on low.